The process of playing poker is something that needs to be learned. Most people assume this means you need to learn the rules of the game. However, there is another component to card playing: you need to read body language. This can create a quandary when you opt to play poker online since you cannot see body language. This is discovered in the realm of tells.
Tells are visible even when you are playing poker online. Tells can often provide the information that displays how people betray their hands. Some may think this is a tough game to stay on top of when you are dealing with a virtual game. However, there is a lot more money available in the realm of online poker which means one needs to rise to the occasion and succeed in reading tells as best as possible.
What are some of the most common tells that you can look for when playing poker online? Here they are:
1. The stall ? most inexperienced online poker players would do this when they have a strong hand. This is because they are feigning ignorance of what to do to make their opponents call their raise. For experienced players, they take advantage of this to fake having a strong hand. So young players would stall when they have a big hand, expert players would stall to fake it.
2. Comparing the rant vs. the gloat. There are those players that take advantage of chat boxes to create the appearance that they are on a losing beat. Some people can be bullied into making them lose their games. Gloaters have a tendency to be immature players that wish to make you assume they are stronger and more experienced than they are. It is best to bluff such clownish players.
3. The all-knowing player ? This is the player that keeps on giving out unsolicited advice on how to play. Do not worry about these players; they normally get out of your way before you even notice them.
There are other tells that you can continue to discover as you continue to play online. The best thing to do here would to be avoid placing too much attention on yourself. From this you can dedicate the needed time to discover the tells.
When you play online, you must navigate the inability to see your opponents clearly although it will be possible to see what they are able to do. It will be no different than playing poker with friends as people will reveal their personalities regardless of whether or not you end up seeing them face to face.
Here are some common behaviors that as a player you should always avoid:
1. Chatting constantly. Whether you are ranting or gloating, other players might be able to read between your lines and make you lose your strategy.
2. Over-reacting is a killer. Do not be so undisciplined that you end up telling all the players that you have a good or bad hand through clearly displaying tell-all emoticons on the screen. This is a super no-no.
3. Rechecking your cards when a flush draw is flopped may prove self-defeating. Instead, write down your cards if your memory is poor. Recheck your cards periodically but do it in a manner that will not undermine the game.
4. Tell the opposing players that you have a solid hand is a major flaw. More than likely, they will come to the conclusion you possess the weakest hand imaginable so avoid this type of bluff.
For yourself, you can avoid giving away your own tells by not reacting in any way perceivable to other opponents on the online table.
Inetbet is a successful and premier online poker, founded in 1999, offering the chance to play for money or to play for free to players worldwide (including bettors in the US). Whether you are an seasoned casino player or a novice, Inetbet is an online poker that will provide you with all your betting requirements.